The line cook is responsible for prepping, stocking station to par levels based on volume, and cooking and properly storing assigned station’s food items. Each line cook is responsible for cooking and serving food of superior quality according to the company's standards of excellence. The individual should accomplish his/her job by contributing to a team environment, including positive communication and interaction with other cooks, sous chefs, and chef as well as employees and managers in other departments. A high sense of urgency is required to perform this job. Line cooks are to uphold food safety standards and maintain a clean and sanitary workstation before, during and after service, including equipment, floors, reach-in coolers, and food contact surfaces.
- Inspect and clean food preparation areas, including tools, equipment, work surfaces, and serving areas to ensure safe and sanitary food handling practices.
- Maintain a clean and sanitized workstation before, throughout, and after the shift.
- Follow food safety and sanitation guidelines including proper time and temperature controls, preventing cross contamination, practicing frequent handwashing and personal hygiene, proper cleaning and sanitizing, and reporting illnesses to management.
- Prep, stock, and organize work station at the beginning of each shift.
- Remain organized throughout shift to ensure timeliness and accuracy of all food orders.
- Cook, prepare, and present items according to proper recipes, portion sizes, and chef’s specifications.
- Check for superior quality, preparation, cooking times, correct doneness, consistency, firmness, temperatures, and presentation of every food item.
- Check freshness of food and ingredients before cooking.
- Track and report any food waste.
- Use proper knife handling techniques to ensure safety.
- Prepare a variety of food items using broilers, ovens, grills, fryers and other kitchen equipment.
- Practice proper food storage practices by labeling, dating, and rotating product.
- Receive and follow all verbal instruction from the chef, sous chef, and kitchen manager concerning orders, special requests, and adjustments needed to efficiently flow products to assure a smooth service period.
- Exhibit creativity and enthusiasm for food.
- Maintain an awareness at all times of the effect of all actions upon the guests’ dining experience and making all decisions based on the impact of the guest.
- Work productively with minimal supervision with a desire to learn and grow.
- Ability to work well with others and commit to the success of a team, including taking direction and accepting constructive feedback in a positive way.
- Able to work in a team-oriented environment and under considerable stress and/or pressure.
- Constant communication with all other team members and management, including calling back all orders to the chef, sous chef, or kitchen manager to achieve accuracy and clarity of orders placed.
- Comply with company safety rules and regulations, including the proper handling of all relevant equipment.
- Report any equipment failure, damage, hazardous conditions, or injury to the chef, sous chef, or kitchen manager immediately to ensure safety.
- Work efficiently and complete required tasks within assigned timeframe.
- Attend all scheduled employee meetings and participate in a meaningful way.
- Perform side duties including cleaning and food production as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school graduate or GED; or six months to one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Degree from a post-secondary culinary arts training program is desirable.
- ServSafe or other food safety management certification helpful.
- Knowledge of foodstuffs and food safety is essential.
- Good math skills helpful.
- Ability to read, count, and write to accurately complete all documentation, including weights and measurements.
- Ability to communicate and understand directions and instructions in English (written and verbal), including basic cooking directions and recipes.
- Knowledge of the use of kitchen utensils, tools and equipment, including knife safety and working skills (cutting, chopping, slicing, etc.)
- Manual dexterity is essential. Must possess finger dexterity to use utensils, knives and equipment adeptly.
- Frequently required to taste and/or smell food being prepared utilizing sanitary means.
- Subject to wet or slippery floors, temperature extremes/frequent changes in temperature, and excessive noise. Able to work in hot temperatures and freezer/cooler areas for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time, bend, stoop, reach, crouch, kneel, lift, push and pull. Properly lift up to 50- 75 pounds; push, pull or move items weighing up to 100 pounds.
- Ability to work varied hours/days in a fast-paced environment in accordance with restaurant operations and adhere to the attendance requirements of the restaurant.
- Must adhere to the established appearance, hygiene, and uniform guidelines.
- Ability to adhere to and comply with all rules and regulations of the company, including in particular the rules for safe handling of food as contained in the Line Cook Manual.
This description is intended to describe the essential job functions and their requirements. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and/or requirements of the position. Other functions may be assigned and management retains the right to add to or revise this job description at any time, with or without prior notice. Employment is at-will and this job description does not imply an employment contract.
Dickie Brennan & Company is a 9-time Best Places to Work recipient (Top 3 in 2015!) and GREAT BENEFITS include: Competitive Pay * Advancement Opportunities * Medical/Dental Coverage * Paid Life Insurance * Paid Vacation * Employee Meals * 401(k) Program with Company Match * PLUS MORE.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug-free Workplace. Dickie Brennan & Company participates in E-Verify, a federal program verifying each employee’s right to work in the Unites States.
- Minimum Age
- 18+ years old
Browse similar jobs (55)
- New Orleans
- Food & Restaurant
- Line Cook
- Palace Café
- Cleaning Jobs
- Communication Jobs
- Cook Jobs
- Customer Service Jobs
- Managerial Jobs
- High School Diploma Jobs
- Medical Benefits Jobs
- Paid Time Off Jobs
- Retirement Jobs
- Sales Jobs
- Training Jobs
- Stock Jobs
- Uniform Jobs
- Writing Jobs
- Restaurant Jobs
- Food Service Jobs