At a glance
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS and DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS.
• Smile, speak to, and respond to customers.
• Stand and/or walk up to eight (8) or ten (10) hours per day depending on shift assignment.
• Read, write, hear and understand, the English language.
• Perform the four basic arithmetic operations in order to make change, complete end of shift reports and account for a variety of inventory products.
• Have sufficient vision to check identification, process transactions, read measurements, and fill out paperwork
• Read and understand instructions for operating cash registers, fuel pump controls, money order machines and other equipment.
• Lift up to 50 pounds carrying cases of milk, soda, beer and juice containers, etc. in a safe manner at least once per shift.
• Squat, bend at waist, twist, grasp, reach and manipulate objects from ground to overhead to stock shelves and coolers.
• React to a fire by lifting and transporting a fire extinguisher to the fire area.
• Bend and remove metal plates and underground tank caps in order to check fuel levels.
• Climb a ladder to clean windows and retrieve materials.
• Sweep and mop floors, dust shelving and lift and carry trash bags to outside bins.
• Sweep parking lot and clean outside grounds and equipment.
• Enter and work in a cooler at a temperature of 34 degrees up to 30 minutes at a time.
• Utilize a hand truck, flat cart, mop, broom, degreaser, and various cleaning solvents.
• Complete daily paperwork and other periodic reports accurately and on time
• Supervise employees effectively
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES The specific responsibilities for the Store Manager's position are as follows. The store manager may also be required to perform the unique duties and responsibilities of the assistant manager position if there is no one in that position, or as the need arises.
• Sets store objectives for each of the following areas based on overall company goals and works to accomplish those objectives through effective management:
Merchandise Sales - Deli Sales - Fuel Sales - Payroll Expense - Waste and Spoilage –
Facility Maintenance - Expense Control - Cash Control - Inventory Control
• Communicates objectives to all store employees and assigns tasks as necessary.
Sales and Merchandising
• Enacts company promotional campaigns on time.
• Ensures that all customers receive the service promised in the mission statement.
• Sets individual sales goals with each store employee.
• Ensures unit is open and all services available to customers during operating hours.
Recruiting and Staffing
• Recruits continuously, seeks the best candidates available in terms of attitude and skills.
• Follows company hiring and training procedures.
• Creates a labor schedule that meets the three requirements of customer needs, company operations, and payroll budget.
• Stays familiar with company manuals, bulletins, and other communications.
• Ensures that all store employees have the proper skills necessary for their position.
• Periodically evaluates the skill level of each employee and identifies weak areas
• Works in conjunction with the training department to improve the skills of each employee
• Develops at least one employee to whom Store Manager duties can be delegated effectively.
• Oversees store operations ensuring compliance with government regulations; company policy; and safety procedures.
• Completes an Incident Report for all warranted events and forwards to Risk Management.
• Reviews financial transactions and monitors budget to ensure efficient operation, and to ensure expenditures stay within budget limitations.
• Ensures that a report of store operations, deli operations, and a bank deposit is completed on a daily basis.
• Performs periodic store inspections to identify areas that do not meet operating standards, and reports any safety needs or concerns to Risk Management.
• Ensures that all federal and state required postings and the Hazard Communication Guide are current and accessible to all store employees.
• Ensures that all employees are following the policies and procedures of the company.
• Ensures that all employees are following federal, state, and local laws and company policy concerning the sale of alcoholic beverages and tobacco products.
• Ensures that a “Person In Charge” is designated as required by Department of Agriculture.
• Manages all key areas of food service operations within their respective store by performing them personally or through subordinate employees.
• Ensures all sanitation requirements are met through equipment cleaning, personal appearance, and proper food storage and display.
• Trains all food service staff in quality and customer service performance standards.
• Orders and maintains food service inventory.
• Prepares daily and weekly reports.
May manage subordinate supervisors in the Assistant Manager position. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these supervisors. Also directly supervises 0-25 non-supervisory employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions